Nathan Caldow extradited from WA over alleged Goulburn attacks, faces Sydney court – ABC News

Nathan Caldow extradited from WA over alleged Goulburn attacks, faces Sydney court - ABC News

NSW Police say information from local residents helped them find a man they allege is behind two violent attacks on women in Goulburn. 

Nathan Raymond Caldow, 41, was escorted on a flight to Sydney from Perth by NSW Police detectives on Wednesday night, after being arrested at a Fremantle hotel on the weekend.

Mr Caldow did not appear in person when his case was heard in Downing Centre Local Court, and did not apply for bail.

Police launched a manhunt for Mr Caldow earlier this month after a public appeal for help over two reported assaults on young women in Goulburn in southern NSW.

He has been charged with eight offences, including inflicting actual bodily harm with intent to have sexual intercourse, choking a person and two counts of sexually touching another person without consent.

NSW Police Sex Crimes Squad Commander Detective Superintendent Jayne Doherty said information from Goulburn locals helped detectives make an arrest.

“They’ve worked doggedly on this matter… we’ve put together information we received from the community along with some very extensive police investigation,” Detective Superintendent Doherty said.

CCTV shows the alleged offender walking a short distance with one of the victims. ()

Police will allege Mr Caldow approached a 19-year-old woman on Bourke Street about 11pm on Friday, April 14, before grabbing and punching her several times in the face.

The woman lost consciousness and when she woke up, flagged down a passing driver who took her to the local police station.

It is alleged Mr Caldow is also responsible for an attack on an 18-year-old woman nine days earlier, when he allegedly approached and punched her in the face while she walked along Blackshaw Road, about 10.30pm on April 5.

The woman broke free and ran for help.

NSW Police Sex Crimes Squad detectives escorted the 41-year-old on a flight from Perth to Sydney on Wednesday night.

Both alleged victims were treated in hospital for facial injuries.

Mr Caldow will remain behind bars until his next court appearance in May.

Detective Superintendent Doherty said the investigation was ongoing, and encouraged anyone who may have more information to contact police.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *